If you are an Indian and want to gain some knowledge about Aadhar card or you want to learn how to make changes in the details of your Aadhar card, then this is the right place for you. This article will give you information about the Aadhar card, the purpose of the Aadhar card and the places where it can be used by people. This article will also give you information as to how to make corrections in your Aadhar card as there might be cases where a person wants to change his or her professional details on the Aadhar card.
About Aadhar Card & Its Online Services
Aadhar serves as an identity card is issued by the government to every citizen of India. Aadhar is a 12-digit unique identification number. Aadhar did not come into existence for a single purpose, unlike voter card which is only used by people for the purpose of voting. Aadhar is a document that is issued by the government to fulfill various purposes. There are a lot of benefits associated with being an Aadhar card holder. Some of them are listed below:
- Used for Multiple Purposes: Aadhar has the feature of versatility to it because as has been mentioned before, Aadhar is an identity card that can be used for multiple purposes such as proof of age, proof of address, proof of identity, etc.
- Passport Acquisition: The government process to procure certain documents can complex and cost a lot of time to a person. The same is the case with getting a Passport. The process of getting a passport can be long and time-consuming. The increasing use of Aadhar card can help in speeding up the process as Aadhar card can be used as both an identity and a residence proof.
- Government Welfare Schemes and Subsidies: A person is required to have an Aadhar card so that he or she can benefit from the various welfare schemes and subsidies that have been introduced by the government especially for Aadhar card holders. For example, in order to avail of the subsidy on LPG, a person is required to have an Aadhar card.
- Digital Life Certificate: Under the scheme of Digital Life Certificate, now a person eligible for a pension does not have to be physically present to collect his or her pension. The pension can be now be received while sitting at home as the pension agency can digitally access the information of pensioners through their Aadhar card numbers. This scheme was introduced by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi to help the people who receive pensions.
- Ease of Availability: Aadhar car is a government-issued document that is available anywhere. It can also be downloaded from the internet in the form of e-Aadhar. E-Aadhar is a digital copy of Aadhar and can be accessed from anywhere.
- Bank Accounts: Banks accept Aadhar cards as valid identity proofs. So, at the time of opening a bank account, an Aadhar card comes in handy. Also, the card can be used for other verification purposes such as KYC which is short for ‘Know Your Customer’.
- Jan Dhan Yojana: The Jan Dhan Yojana was started by the Indian government under the administration of the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi. The aim of the Jan Dhan Yojana is to help people in rural and backward areas in opening a bank account. Under this scheme, the only document required by citizens to open a bank account is the Aadhar card. They do not need to show any other document in order to open up a bank account.
There are certain documents that a citizen needs to have and submit along with the application form of their Aadhar card in order to become an Aadhar card holder. Documents like identity proof, address proof, proof of relationship and date of birth certificate need to be submitted by an individual while applying for an Aadhar card. An individual also needs these documents in case he or she wants to change any details on his or her Aadhar card.
There are various services provided online by UIDAI, the administrating authority of the Aadhar card. A person can avail of these services on the UIDAI’s official website. There are a lot of options available to the users on this website. A person can download E-Aadhar, which is the digital form of Aadhar, from the website. E-Aadhar holds as much validity as the printed Aadhar card. A person can E-print their Aadhar, meaning they can take a print out of their Aadhar card from the UIDAI website. Apart from these services, a person can also make changes to the details of his or her Aadhar card through the website portal of UIDAI. Details like name, address, date of birth, mobile number etc. of a person can be changed by the help of the Aadhar online services.
How to Do Various Corrections in Aadhar Card
There are various reasons due to which a person would want to change the details on their Aadhar card. Sometimes it is because they have changed their mobile number or sometimes, they have shifted homes to another place and want to have their address updated on the Aadhar card. Sometimes, it happens that the details of a person do not come out right on the internet. In such cases also, they have to get these details changed on the Aadhar card.
If a person visits the UIDAI website, they can find out which details he or she can get changed and information they cannot. Aadhar information can be divided into two categories. One is the demographic information and the other one is the biometric information. According to the UIDAI website, the information that comes under the demographic section can be changed is as follow:
- Information Sharing Consent
- Mobile Number
- Age / Date of Birth
- Email Address
- Relationship Status
In the demographic category of information, the following are the things that can be changed, according to UIDAI:
- Facial Fingerprints
There are two ways in which a person can change the information on his or her Aadhar card. The two ways of changing your Aadhar details have been mentioned below in detail:
Aadhar Card Correction Online by (SSUP) Self Service Update Portal
The first option to change your Aadhar card details is going online. This mode can be identified as a self-service one as a person can visit the website of UIDAI himself or herself and put in a request on the website to change details like their residential address. To access the Self Service Update Portal (SSUP) on the UIDAI website for the purpose of changing Aadhar card details, a person has to log in to the website first. There are two things required by a person to successfully log in to the website of UIDAI. The first is the 12-digit Aadhar card number that they have and the other is the OTP (one time password) that the person receives on his or her registered mobile phone number. The user also has to upload the digital copy of his or her address proof in order to complete the process of updating the Aadhar information. Following is a list of steps that a person should follow if he or she wants to update their Aadhar card information using the online method:
- The first thing that an individual has to do is visit the UIDAI website for the Aadhar Self Service Update Portal (SSUP).
- Upon reaching the SSUP, the candidate should select the fields that he or she wants to update.
- The next thing that the candidate has to do in the Aadhar card update process is fill up the selected fields with the correct or the latest data. Then he or she has to submit that information.
- Upon submitting the Aadhar card update form by the candidate, a URN (Update Request Number) will be generated by the website.
- If you want a review of the updates, select the BPO option.
- Then, the next step that the individual has to take is to attach the digital copies or scanned copies of the documents required as proof by the website.
- Then, using the URN, the candidate can check the Aadhar card update status on the website to see how further ahead the process of getting his or her Aadhar card updated has moved.
A Visit to the Permanent Enrolment Centre
- Where the online option was considered a self service mode, this option is an assisted mode as the individual cannot update the details of their Aadhar card under this method all by their own. Under this option, you take the help of an operator at the PEC to put in a request to change you biometric or demographic details. A person also has to submit his or her documents with the operator as evidence for the update request. There are three assisted update modes provided by the UIDAI. They are as follow:
- Update Client Standard – Under this mode, a person can update all types of information whether it is demographic, biometric or the language. Biometric check takes place for the purpose of identity authentication.
Officials at the enrolment centre, that are appointed by the UIDAI or by the registrar conduct the verification process of the documentary evidence. For the verification procedure, the guidelines of the DDSVP committee have to be followed.
Issues relating to transliteration, language and spelling are taken care of by the operator in the process of filling up of the application form. A biometric sign-off is also given by the operator for the Aadhar card correction requests. Then, the candidate receives a receipt of acknowledgment along with a URN which can be used to track the Aadhar update status.
- Update Client Lite – In this mode also, all types of information can be changed or updated by an individual. Here also, biometric data is checked identity authentication purposes. Registrars or the UIDAI appoints operators who then conduct the verification process and check out whether the documentary evidence provided by the candidate, along with his or her Aadhar card correction request, is valid or not. The operator has to adhere to the recommendations of the DDSVP committee while carrying the verification process.
The language, spelling and transliteration issues are taken care of by the operator while filling up the application form. The operator signs off on the Aadhar update requests and gives an acknowledgment receipt to the candidate who applied for the Aadhar update along with a URN so that he or she is able to track the status of the Aadhar update.
- Update via AUA Point of Presence – The types of changes that a person can make to his Aadhar card through this mode are only demographic. A Registrar, who is also the Authentication Requesting Agency carries out this mode. UIDAI provide the APIs or applications for update. Under this mode, usually those Registrars are chosen who specialise in generating, managing, possessing or collecting the particular demographic field. The Registrar has to act as the custodian of the data.
For the purpose of authentication of identity, an AUA device is used. If required, some additional measures might also be suggested by UIDAI for the identity authentication process. The Aadhar update request will be signed off by the operator using the biometric check.
Only after the Registrar carries out his verification process and identity authentication process of the individual is complete can the UIDAI accept the updates. There is also a chance that scanned documents will be collected online in the case of an audit.
The Registrar or the appointed operator makes the use of biometric authentication for the purpose of filling out the application form for Aadhar update request. Depending on the request of the applicant, the acknowledgment can be a printed receipt or in the form of an SMS or an email.
Now, there is a list of steps that an individual has to take in order to get his or her Aadhar card updated. Below are the steps that a person should follow in accordance to the detail that they want to be changed on their Aadhar card:
Correct Aadhar Card Address Online
The process for the Aadhar card address change online works in two ways. The first case of the process of Aadhar card address change online is that the individual should have proof of residence. The second case of the process of Aadhar card address change online is that the individual does not have proof of residence.
In both cases, an individual can get his or her address updated from the Aadhar Self Service Update Portal. They just have to take the following steps in order to update their address:
Aadhar card Address Update (With proof of Residence)
- The first thing to do is to visit the SSUP that is short for Aadhar Self Service Update Portal.
- Click on the ‘Update Your Address Online’ option.
- Enter the 12-digit unique identification number on the Aadhar card and click on the ‘Send OTP’ option.
- The user will then receive a one-time password (OTP) on their registered mobile phone number.
- Now, the candidate has to enter the OTP and the security code to go ahead.
- Then, he or she has to select the address option in order to update their residential address.
- The next step they have to take is to fill in the details of their current residential address and submit this information.
- Now, the candidate has to upload a relevant proof of residence along with the application form.
- Then select BPO for authentication purposes.
- The candidate’s requested will then be submitted and it will result in the generation of a URN.
Aadhar card Address Update (Without proof of Residence)
- The first step is the visit the SSUP.
- Then select the ‘Update Your Address Online’ option.
- Next, the candidate has to click on the ‘Request for Aadhar Validation Letter’ button. This process has three steps – 1. Filing of application by the candidate 2. Approval by the validator 3. Final submission of application by the candidate.
- Then, he or she has to enter the 12-digit Aadhar number and request for an OTP.
- Next is the submission of OTP and the security code.
- To update the residential address, select the address option.
- Fill in the details of your current address and submit it.
- Now attach a relevant residence proof.
- For authentication, select BPO
- Thus, the request is submitted and the candidate gets a URN.
Correct Aadhar Card Name
A person also has the option of changing his or her name on the Aadhar card issued by the government. A candidate has to visit the Aadhar Enrolment Centre in order to update his or her name. Below is a list of steps that should be followed in order to change your Aadhar card name:
- The first step is to fill the form for Aadhar Enrolment/ Correction.
- Next, the candidate has to fill in his correct name.
- The form has to be submitted along with a relevant identity proof.
- The update request will be registered by the executive and an acknowledgment slip will be given to the candidate.
- The whole process will cost the candidate 25 rupees.
Correct Aadhar Card Mobile Number
There are often instances when people change their phone number or their current number stops working. So, they have no option other than to change their mobile numbers. A person can update his or her mobile number on the Aadhar card through these steps:
- Visit the Aadhar Enrolment Centre and fill out the Aadhar Card Update form.
- Mention the current phone number in the form.
- No need for an identity proof to change the phone number
- The request will be registered by the executive and an acknowledgment slip will be handed to the candidate by the executive.
- The candidate has to 25 rupees as a fee to avail of this service.
Correct Aadhar Card Date of Birth
The steps in the Aadhar correction process, in the case of date of birth, are mentioned below:
- Visit the Enrolment Centre and fill-up the form with the correct date of birth.
- Proof of date of birth has to be submitted along with the form
- Biometrics are taken by the executive for identity authentication
- An acknowledgment slip is given to the applicant along with a URN.
- A fee of 25 rupees has to be paid by the candidate.
- Within 90 days, the date of birth gets updated.
Q) How can I update my mobile number in Aadhar card?
Answer: You have to visit the Aadhar Enrolment Centre and file an Aadhar card correction form requesting an update of your mobile number. It will cost you 25 rupees.
Q) How can I change my address in Aadhar card online?
Answer: You have to visit the Aadhar SSUP and apply to change your address. Several details will have to be filled and a proof of residence will also be needed by you for this process.
Q) How many times can we change address in Aadhar card?
Answer: There is no limit as to how many times a person can change their address.
Q) How many days will it take to change the address in Aadhar?
Answer: It usually takes 10 to 15 days to update the address.
Q) How can I correct my DOB in Aadhar card?
Answer: You have to visit the Aadhar Enrolment Centre and fill out an Aadhar card correction form requesting a change in the date of birth. You have to pay 25 rupees for this process.
An identity card is an important thing for a citizen to have. An identity card serves various purposes. A person needs a driver’s license in order to able to drive cars and motorcycles as it is illegal to drive motor vehicles without a driving license. In the same way, a voter card is required by an individual if or she wants to vote in the elections. In the same way, Aadhar works as an important proof of identification and allows people to have access to various government schemes and helps in the betterment of the lives of people living in various different parts of the country.
There can be instances when the information on the Aadhar card can turn out to be wrong or it can be outdated. In such cases, this is article will be of great help to the public.
Contents In This Article
- 1 How to Do Various Corrections in Aadhar Card
- 2 Aadhar Card Correction Online by (SSUP) Self Service Update Portal
- 3 A Visit to the Permanent Enrolment Centre
- 4 Correct Aadhar Card Mobile Number
- 5 FAQs
- 6 Conclusion